This post is also available in: zh-hans简体中文

LB & Co. Solicitors and Notary Public

EU spouse/family residence card

Citizens of EU countries have the right to live freely, work, self-employ or study in the UK or other EU member states according to the treaty between the countries and the United Kingdom.

In general, EU citizens can stay in the UK in the first five years of their visas. After five years, even if they lose their jobs in the UK, their economic activities are terminated, and family relationships are broken, they can still apply for permanent residence in the UK. Therefore, if citizens from EU countries have legally resided in the UK for five years, they can apply for permanent residence in the UK under the treaty.

How to obtain permanent residency status in the UK?

Applicants need to prove that they have resided in the UK legally for five consecutive years and live in the UK.

Citizens of EU member states can apply for permanent residence as long as they have stayed in the UK for five years. This exercise is restricted to EU member states and is legally resident in the UK due to long-term employment contracts, self-employment, self-sufficiency or study.

As a member of the EU member states, if they meet the above conditions, they can apply for permanent residence after staying in the UK for five years.

As long as you do not leave the UK for more than 6 months within five years, you can legally apply for permanent residence after five years. In some cases, it is allowed to leave within 6 months of leaving the company . Usually, 6 months is a transition period. As long as the special circumstances occur no more than 6 months, the application for permanent residence will not be affected.

EEA UK permanent residence application consists of different identities. For example, it can be a company employee holding a long-term contract at the beginning, and then self-employed for a period of time. Later, as a student staying in the UK, the right to apply for permanent residence will not be due to several times. The identity change is affected.

Permanent applicants may apply for permanent residence as long as they are legally resident in the UK for five years.

What information is required for permanent residence application?

Application materials vary from person to person, such as proofs in the UK including rental contracts, utilities and bank statements.

If you are applying for a family, you will need to provide proof that the family members have lived in the UK for five years.

If you are a child, you will need to provide a letter or immunization record from the school.

If it is an EEA work visa, you need to provide a certificate issued by the employer. The certificate specifies the date of commencement of work, salary, working hours, and if the employment relationship ends, provide the reason for ending the employment relationship as needed. In addition, a bank statement and an employment contract that produce a pay slip or a salary receipt are issued.

If the employment relationship ends, you will need to provide a letter of resignation, a letter of dismissal, a court ruling on employment, etc. In fact, the letters provided by the employer and the employment contract should be prepared as much as possible. If there is a gap, it can be supplemented by the payroll and the bank statement showing the salary. The bank bill is not legally required to be submitted, but we recommend submitting it in case Reduce the possibility of errors.

After the application is successful, the applicant will receive a confirmation letter from the Ministry of the Interior stating that according to the documents and certificates provided, the applicant has obtained the identity within the specified date and will indicate that if you want to apply for naturalization, you must wait for it. You can submit your application after you have lived for 12 months.